Main Blog   |   Before Norway  
.

Fårikål Day

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Thursday, September 24, 2009
Browsing around the web to learn a little bit more about Norwegian culture I found out that today is Fårikål day…Yipee?!!. Fårikål literally means "Sheep in cabbage". In the 1970s, Fårikål was elected national dish of Norway by a popular radio program.

Fårikål is a traditional Norwegian dish, consisting of pieces of mutton with bone and cabbage cooked for several hours in a casserole, traditionally served with potatoes boiled in their jackets. The dish is typically prepared in early autumn. Fårikål is originally a dish from the Western part of Norway, but is now enjoyed in all parts of the country. Fårikål Feast Day is celebrated on the last Thursday in September each year (Wikipedia)

I haven’t tried the recipe yet but will report back as soon as I do!

More on Norwegian Cuisine (!) here

Fancy dinner option in our future

NB: I know, I used SEVEN times the word Fårikål but I just learned how to type the cute å, aka Angel a!. If you cannot see it (ie your computer doesn't recognize the letter)... you are missing out on the all point!

No comments:

Post a Comment