Main Blog   |   Before Norway  
.

Lunch With Friends...

Friday, August 28, 2009

Friday, August 28, 2009
...Or Is It a "Business" Meeting?

First lunch today with newfound friends which makes me on one hand happy to start making a life for myself here and sad of the memory of our (more than) weekly Let’s Do Lunch in Beijing!

I talked about the importance of Business Cards in China and Lunches but let me refresh your memory:
The Business of Business Cards
Yes I know it is not technically a BUSINESS card…. 'cause who am I kidding, going around having tea with friends does not qualify as business or does it? In fact, this is where I meet with potential clients (read: friends), exchange business plans (read: clues to the best bargain places, How to live here) and I sometimes even have business lunches when we discuss potential outsourcing (read: finding the best ayi -babysitter/maid- in town) or where international expansion (read: next must-do vacation) are debated. Maybe I should rethink my business plan and introduce myself as CEO™ (Chief Everything Officer) for the multinational company SUITER (French, American, Argentinean and Scottish) searching new ventures (expat’ lifestyle) worldwide (North America, South America, Europe and Asia so far). What do you think, should I have them remade with my new title?

But it doesn’t really apply much here: No best bargain places and definitely no potential outsourcing!  I guess the share holders of Suiter 'n Co. have decided that the core business should be re-center to the family (I strongly opposed but I only have one vote!).  I’m still the Chief in Charge, Treasurer remains Jeff, and Chloe & Jeremy are non-executive partners. My new title is "Supermom/Multitasker". Everyday I combine the skills of event organizer, household manager, family counselor, personal shopper, housekeeper, chauffeur and even diplomat just to keep the family lives running smoothly!

My Business card doesn’t look too businessy nowadays!!!. Oh and by the way I don’t like the English term: "Business Card".  Only people doing “business” should have one? In French it’s called a Carte de Visite, Tarjeta de Visita in Spanish, Biglietto da Visita in Italian, in Norwegian it’s Visittkort (all meaning more or less “Visiting Card”) and in Chinese it’s 名片 (Ming2 Pian4 – literally Name Card). No business and all about visits.... I like it.
Here’s my card if you want to come for a visit...No business, please

No comments:

Post a Comment